Sunday, July 18, 2010

Research life is beginning soon

This is it, we have studied on theories and facts for 2 years, and now is the time to get hands-on experience on research, which is, to carry out our final year project.

We are allowed to choose 5 titles that we are interested in, and out of the 5 titles (usually but not necessarily among the 5 titles submitted), we are given one title to work on. I am thankfully assigned to work on malaria, which is my most preferred title of all. And another reason to be thankful is that my supervisor is kind and helpful.

Soon, we will have to work on our research proposal and therefore, we have to start to read articles from different but related journals. After the proposal is presented to the lecturers and approved, we will be able to start our research.

This is exciting, but, at the same time, frightening. It's exciting as we have worked so hard and come this far for the final year project, the one that we have to finish in order to graduate with a Degree; frightening because this is the time where you would find out whether or not you like the life of a researcher. What if my answer is a "NO"?

A friend told my friend that he thinks that I know exactly what I want. I'm sorry to say, no, I don't. Well, I don't know how he got this impression from me. I wish I knew what I want EXACTLY. But life is all about attempts, better yet, it's a cycle of attempt-fail-attempt again, until you reach your ultimate goal. So, I guess this is the crucial time to get to know what I really want to do in future, a wall to reflect the inner voice of my own.

No comments: