Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The UGLY diffrence

Lately, I find myself very into the world of fashion. Actually, after all these years, I always pay attention to it but I didn’t really try to apply them in my real life. I was a fan of ANTM, but due to my recent busy life and also the lack-of-freshness in the show, I stopped following. I love the fashion industry for its glamour; it always looks grand and elegant. Until then, the previous shopping sessions for CNY new clothes has sort of triggered my interest to get involved in fashion and I started to view men’s fashion blogs. From there, I am exposed to the glamour of the industry, and I am very attracted to it, I just don’t know why. Luckily I am not rich, or else I might succumb into it.

Those blogs that I am following feature high-end fashion brands like you guys know of, for instance, CK, D&G, Armani, Burberry and LV (yes, they have menswear line as well). Besides that, there are many other brands which are less common in Malaysia, like, Dsquared2, Balmain, Lanvin, Bottega Veneta and more. What attract me is not only their super expensive prices for even a piece of small accessories like an armlet or a necklace, the way they sell their products to the world. Attractive ad campaigns for each seasons; some features elegance and glamour, others focus on high sex appeal.

Dsquared2 2010 spring/summer


Dolce & Gabbana


Bottega Veneta

Regardless of what their main focus is, each photo for the ad campaign is a fine piece of artwork. These photos remind me of my long forsaken dream of being a model. Haha, ya, that’s my dream, forever it will be, though I know it’s hard to achieve. Besides that, their new collection has become an obsession for the media and also fashionists all over the world. People are so keen in attending their runway shows. I just can’t stop wondering; is there really a flood of rich people out there? It’s unbelievable how these high-end clothing companies succeed in luring people into buying their products? Too many rich shopaholics around the world? Or people just can’t resist the lure of a luxurious life?

Despite of my fascination towards these high-end luxury goods, my rationality remains in me. Fashion is a fast-changing industry with two seasons (spring-summer and fall-winter) in each year, and if a person were to follow the trends for each season, not to mention to follow the trends strictly, he would be spending a fortune on clothing and accessories alone. These clothes are not cheap, they worth more than the monthly salary of a general clerk or janitor. Amazed by how expensive they are? Yes, extremely and unexpectedly expensive, and yet, there are people who can afford them.

Well, it’s a big world out there, ain’t it? People could be so affluent that they could afford a Hermes Birkin which could cost up to a price of more than USD 100,000, carrying it around the city; people could also be desperately poor until they could not even get enough of their basic requirements of life: clean water, food (not to mention nutritious food like meat and fish) and a shelter. This is how big our global social gap could be, what an ugly difference.

That’s why, I am grateful of what I have, although I am not rich and I certainly can't afford any of these brands mentioned above, but at least I have enough nutritious food and plenty of clean water and a place to stay (excluding the hot air in my house!).

Hope you guys feel the same way as well, be happy of what you've got. =]

No comments: